Friday, May 1, 2009

the hits just keep on coming

April went out with a bang. April 30 might go down as the most comically awful day I've had in a long while. If I weren't so exhausted by the end of it, I might've been laughing all night.

I walked out of my building yesterday morning. The strap broke on my climbing bag immediately. I should've just turned right around and gone back to bed. The sky had a certain forboding tone to it. It felt like Groundhog Day, minus Bill Murray and "I've Got You Babe" on Punxatawney radio.

The rest of the day went pretty smoothly. Jobs were posted for next year, so I spent the afternoon poring over those, hoping to find a second or third grade position for next year. Hopefully, I can shorten my commute considerably and make this change a little greener!

After a good session at the gym, I punctuated the day with a ridiculous fall onto my head off a V7. I'm making progress; I just need to get it fresh.

Pulling out of the gym, I felt a whap-whap-whap coming from my front passenger tire. Sounded flat. I pulled over and found a huge chunk of steel sticking out of the tread. I hoped for the best and limped on down the road to the gas station. Sure enough, it flew out before I got there and was riding the rim in less than a block.

Flat tire, no big deal, right? I've changed many in my days. First one, new car, no sweat.

Wrong.

One, no tire iron to loosen the lugs. Two, jack rusted to the point of being useless. Three, spare tire flat. Four, when my buddy Rob pulled in to help me out, my car was too low for his jack. We improvised and got it done. It was such an ordeal, I couldn't help but laugh. What else could I do?

Oh yeah, pack for NYC and sleep...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds bad until you hear my boss' luck this month. Started out the month as a passenger in a car wreck that totaled her friend's Mercedes SUV, went to Boston only to find out they might lay us all off, came home to hear that the law school dropped out of the top tier in US News rankings, had her house broken into mid-day where they stole a safe containing all important documents, including husband's immigration papers, birth certificates, titles to house, cars, boats, heirloom diamond jewelry and more, and to top it off her son called her sick yesterday with flu-like symptoms. Yowza! Needless to say, she's glad it's now May (I did not mean for that to rhyme).