Friday, January 2, 2009

the meaning of life

in the absence of meaningless new year's resolutions, i thought i'd share some of my favorite bits of wisdom from Esquire's Meaning of Life issue. enjoy!

"Nobody likes to fail. I want to succeed in everything I do, which isn't much. But the things that I'm really passionate about, if I fail at those, if I'm not successful, what do I have?"--Eminem

"Streets are straight, houses are square, and our bodies are round. We don't belong there. We belong outside, doing stuff."--Warren Miller

"If you believe that every word in the Bible is the word of God, literally, you've got a problem. When you go through Genesis and you count back and the world began four thousand years ago, I am not convinced. It is of course metaphorical and should be taken as such. Is it nonetheless useful? Oh, absolutely."--Brent Scowcroft

"It's much harder to make something simple than complicated."--Phil Bredesen

"...But you've got to live to get old. You can't get old without living."--Jim Brown

"Every man that's good, his mama stayed on his behind."--Evander Holyfield

"Success needs no explanation. Failure does not have one that matters."--Rev. Jesse Jackson

"Every kid should learn how to swim and how to shoot a .22."--Steve Zahn

No comments: