Wednesday, October 10, 2007

kids these days

most days, i spend more time with my students than their parents do. that ain't right. 8:50 to 3:40 i see their smiling, wiggling bodies and try my damnedest to squeeze all kinds of knowledge into their sponge-like brains. can't waste a drop. some of these poor kids get dropped off at school before i get here and leave after i do. spend two, maybe three hours with mom and dad to do their homework, eat dinner, get a bath, and get to bed. it's no wonder that they're absolutely starved for attention. maybe attention deficit disorder has its roots in a lack of interaction with their parents instead of being overstimulated by television and video games. getting attention as the problem, not paying attention.

what do they call this, a moment of clarity?

6 comments:

wanderlust said...

moment of truth

You had me at Merlot. said...

Its the curse of beign a parent. I often feel so much guilt, especially when I was a teacher. Spending all day working is exhausting, spending all day working with other snot nosed brats is uber exhausting. Oh the guilt that came when I had nothing left for Audrey at the end of the day. Its easy to point the finger at the parent who is tring thier best to give thier kids a better life. Remeber that. That's this single mommy/teacher/scientist's two cents.

Mr. J said...

I didn't mean this to be an indictment of working single parents at all. It's the two-earner households that "must" work to buy things that they don't need, when if they somehow realized that their jobs as parents don't necessitate overextending yourself and living beyond your means, their kids and their families would be much better off.

Mr. J said...

P.S. You are a phenomenal parent, and you know it!

The engineer, the fabricator, the soccer player, and the berr said...

yeah. what she said above you ben. there is def. a distinct difference between the single parent working their ass off and those married couples who see schools as babysitting. i also feel guilt if am to exhausted from crap work, research project and school. but hey you know me i always make time for man....it kills me when i can't...don't tell anyone i said that.

Mr. J said...

it must be a byproduct of the people i associate with. all my friends with kids, single or otherwise, are leaps and bounds above the "parents" that i referred to in this post.

that's the viewpoint that kills me: i'm a babysitter. f'that. walk in my shoes, ingorant parent. you won't last an hour with my class!